Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What is and isn't art?



Rotary Glass Plates by Marcel Duchamp 

When the question was asked "what makes something considered art?" I didn't really understand it until the film we watched on Man Ray in our last class. I always thought that uncurling a lampshade and calling it art was ridiculous but I see that in a new light now. The act of taking something useful and making it not, or taking something ugly and making it beautiful is actually quite significant. Its not that these artists have taken so much time to create the object but the have inspired others minds to view it differently, like it isn't something seen or used in everyday life. They were able to make viewers appreciate the brilliance or even the simplicity of an object that is otherwise overlooked. Interactive art is also something I had formally overlooked. I love the idea that the piece is not art without an audience. At the first glance of the photo of "Rotary Glass Plates" I was pretty unimpressed, but as I said before, after the last lecture we had in class I have an entirely new appreciation for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment